Google

Autumn Cables Carpet Bag


Can I start by saying how much I love this bag? I've been using it ever since I finished it - and I could hardly wait to finish!

The pattern is Autumn Cables Carpet Bag, from Lullabies and Lace. I was given the pattern as a Christmas gift from a fellow Crochetviller. I can tell you that this pattern will get lots of use. The pattern name and the purse make me think of Anne of Green Gables, who arrived in Avonlea clutching a carpet bag containing all of her worldly possessions. As every woman knows, that's what it feels like we carry around with us!

I used 9" round handles from Joann Fabric, and two balls each of flecked cream and gray Wool-Ease yarn. (Each side took about one ball of yarn, and the lining and pocket that I added was about two balls) Without giving away the pattern secrets, the purse is worked by two sides stitched together and then a lining is crocheted in. I added a pocket while I was stitching in the lining, and I do love that, too.

Each side took me just one evening, but the lining is quite dense (as a good lining is) and took a few days of sporadic stitching. I really should have been working on Christmas presents, though!

I kick myself a little for not picking bolder colors, but the gray peeping out through the mesh of the cream picks up the flecks in the outside color, and it really will last for years and goes with everything. And it holds everything, too!

Labels: , , ,

posted by Anonymous on Friday, December 22, 2006 @ 12:31 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! 6:49 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice pattern and purse. As always, you did a great job and I cannot wait to see it in person. 11:29 AM  

Blogger Anna said...

I love your bag. {wink wink} I still need to make one for myself. To be honest...Anne of Green Gables was my inspiration for both this bag AND the name. :) I am glad you like it so well. 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home